Saturday, August 20, 2011

If The House Were On Fire: A husband's answer

Whenever Amber and I play The Question Game, answers almost always begin with the simple phrase, "Well, that depends..." Heaven forbid we answer a question with a simple yes or no; as Jeb Bartlett once put it on West Wing, "In my house, anyone who used one word when they could have used ten just isn't trying hard." That sums up conversations in our household pretty darn well. At any rate, my answer to Amber's question about what objects I would salvage from our house on the way out comes with caveats. During the week leading up to last year's NFC championship, for example, my answer would have looked like this:


During most other weeks, my answer would have looked like this:


I would grab the large tapa cloth that our Tongan host family gave us during our last week of Peace Corps service, the injera basket that I brought home from my first international trip, the Walter Payton jersey my wife gave me just after we learned she was pregnant with our first child, a book of lists that we have composed together on and off for over 10 years, a copy of the Bible in Tongan, a children's book that evoked memories of reading our kids over the years and whatever picture was hanging on the fridge that day. The honest truth is that all that would really matter to me is my family's safety, but these are the things I could probably never really replace.

And if you're shaking your head or rolling your eyes at my first picture, I can assure you of one thing: If you were a Bears fan, you would understand.

- Cliff (aka The Husband)

1 comment: