Thursday, September 8, 2011

Use Your Bugs & Wishes

Our son's first day of Pre-K was earlier this week, and it started with a parent/teacher meeting. I asked his teacher about discipline plans (not that my perfect angel would ever be in need of discipline). She explained their policy of "quiet reflection time," and then she said something brilliant:

"We ask them to use their bugs and wishes." 

What?

Essentially, the teachers help the students express how they are feeling, and what they need to change to feel better. "It bugs me when the other kids don't help me with this puzzle. I wish someone wanted to do a puzzle with me."

The preschoolers are learning something most of us only partially get as adults: you're half way to a solution once you learn to express what's bothering you, and what you want to change.

Wouldn't we all be a little better off if we used our bugs and wishes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment