Monday, November 21, 2011

Have You Ever Lied about Telling Your Spouse Something?



 About twice a week, Cliff and I have a conversation that goes something like this:

Cliff: Don't forget I'll be home late tonight. My meeting goes until six.

Amber: Six?

Cliff: Yes. We talked about this. Remember? You said it was no problem.

Amber: [Clears throat. Tries to recall.] When did we have this conversation?

Cliff: Last night. After you were in bed.

And then we both realize we've done it again. I've managed, yet again, to have an entire conversation with Cliff while I was asleep - none of which I now remember. And Cliff has managed, yet again, to think I was actually awake and alert.

Usually these conversations are about stuff that doesn't impact the flow of our days: a Jon Stewart joke, the performance of Cliff's fantasy football team (okay ... it doesn't impact the flow of my day). But occasionally it's important stuff, and I'm oblivious.

Confession: Once or twice, when I've had absolutely no recall of the conversation, I've wondered if Cliff was making it up. But then I remember just how oblivious I am after 10 p.m., and know that he's telling the truth. (It also helps that I trust Cliff's character.)

All this to say, I laughed heartily at the intro scene from Modern Family two weeks ago. (See clip above.) Claire, apparently, shouldn't trust Phil as much as I trust Cliff. Watch the first few minutes and you'll see what I mean.

Have you ever lied about having told your spouse something? Leave a comment and confess here:

No comments:

Post a Comment