Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Moral High Ground and the Crunchy/Creamy Debate

Sometimes I think the real question of marriage isn't Who is the right person?, it's, Are you a crunchy person or a creamy person? Yes, I'm talking about peanut butter. Because it's virtually impossible for a creamy person to happily eat a crunchy sandwich. And crunch lovers know a creamy sandwich is lacking.

Maybe your issue is toilet paper. My grandmother's bathroom used to have a newspaper clipping hanging over the toilet paper roll. It said:

He says over / I say under / It's becoming quite an issue / Deciding what's the proper way / To hang the bathroom tissue.

And then there's socks: fold, or roll? Cliff prefers to do both: roll athletic socks, fold dress socks. And shirts: when I fold t-shirts, I put the crease right down the center. Cliff prefers two creases, one on each side, like he works for the Gap.

On a rough day, these silly topics can become marital battlegrounds, and we stake our own territory like it's the moral high ground. Apparently I'm not the only one facing these big issues in life. This clip from Up All Night made me laugh because it reminded me just how ridiculous these sorts of debates are:


Whether it's peanut butter, or socks, or toilet paper, I'm sure you and your spouse have some insignificant difference that you occasionally defend like it's a moral high ground. Laugh about it today - and share your own comic differences here in the comments section.

4 comments:

  1. So, why am I not happy that he hangs up the towels? Why MUST they be stretched out on the towel rack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real question is, does he ever wash the towels? If so, he's a keeper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just leave my wet towel wherever I take it off. That has to be annoying. On the other hand, my wife will keep on piling trash in the kitchen garbage even if its overfilled instead of switching out the bags. We still love each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @365actsoflove: I pretty much refuse to clean out the drain in the sink. We all have our faults!

    ReplyDelete