Thursday, March 3, 2011

Public Exposure: Facebook and Marriage

A friend recently shared the story of her brother's divorce: he thought he was happily married, his wife was having an affair. They separated, and despite a brief attempt to work things out, their marriage ended over a year ago.

"She's still my friend on Facebook," my friend told me. "And sometimes I go to her profile to look at the pictures. I just wanted to see the face of the man she thought was better than my brother."

In similar circumstances, I'm sure I'd do the same thing. And I'm sure the Facebook page would be full of juicy details.

My anecdotal evidence is validates by a new survey from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, which reports 81% of America's top divorce lawyers have seen an increase in information from social media as evidence in divorce filings.




No comments:

Post a Comment