Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How Seeing Bridesmaids (Or The Hangover, Part 2) Helps Your Marriage

The other night I met two dear friends at a theater (with air conditioning!) to watch Bridesmaids.

(Side note: it's vulgar, and hilarious, and you totally have to see it. Unless you're the type that's offended by things that are vulgar. Or hilarious.)

We split a bag of popcorn and shared a pack of Kleenex when, at the end, we were all laughing so hard that sobbing was absolutely necessary. It was cathartic. A cleansing kind of laughter that made me feel refreshed. And the conversation in the car on the way home just added to the heightened sense of the enjoyment of life.

It was late when I got home, but Cliff was waiting up for me. And we talked animatedly for awhile, catching up like we'd been a part for a week instead of just a few hours. Turns out bonding with the girls had an added bonding-bonus for my marriage.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this trend. I saw a blog post recently titled "How Lunch with the Girls Helps Your Marriage." The author argues that having friends who listen to you rant, or help you decompress after a long day at work, decreases stress in your relationship at home:
"Don't get me wrong, my husband is my BFF, but that doesn't mean he should be the only person I confide in -- that would be a lot of pressure on him, on our relationship. Imagine if he's the only one I unload on about everything from the type of garbage bags we use to how I am feeling about Kiddo's night terrors to my struggle to find a swimsuit that covers decently but doesn't make me look like a granny. All of that muddles and takes up time when we could be reconnecting with each other after a long day."
I agree. And I'm pretty sure Cliff does too. In fact, I remember one time when he made this argument. I was 10 weeks pregnant with our first child, and I'd told no one but him and the midwife. Like any new mom-to-be, I was a muddle of excitement, hormones and anxieties. So much so that Cliff encouraged me to share the news with my closest girlfriends earlier than planned because, as he said, "I can't handle all your crazy on my own." (Perhaps I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the point.)

At any rate ... consider yourself granted permission to grab a drink with the girls, watch the game with the guys, or take a long lunch with your best non-spouse friend. It may be the best thing you do for your marriage this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment