Friday, April 29, 2011

Too Big to Fail: Thoughts on the Marriage of William and Kate

I've managed to avoid most of the William and Kate craziness that has otherwise possessed the Internet for the last few days: I did not set my alarm for 3 a.m., and it was well after 8 this morning before I saw a picture of her (beautiful) dress.

Just the same, I do have some thoughts on the marriage of Wills and Kate. Note, I said marriage, not wedding. I've actually been thinking about them all week because of a line in a Newsweek article I read earlier this week:

"What everyone does know, but no one is saying out loud, is that this is one royal marriage that simply has to work. Jennie Bond goes so far as to suggest that the breakup of Prince William and Princess Catherine could herald the end of the monarchy itself." - Citizen Kate, by Allison Pearson

Essentially what Pearson and Bond are hinting at is that this marriage is TOO BIG TO FAIL.

There's a familiar term, right? All too frequently applied to the financial institutions that launched us into the current economic distress, it basically means if this organization collapses, it will take something much larger down with it.

Very Small Organizations

A marriage is essentially a very small organization, complicated by having two CEOs and a nebulous product/service we call "life together." When these organizations fail, the fall out can be far reaching. Not just to the couple and the couple's children, but often to those who were witness to the merger and the collapse.

I've watched a few marriages I felt were "too big to fail" fall apart. Tipper and Al Gore come to mind, as does the marriage of two close friends of ours, a couple my husband said (when we first met) illustrated his ideal of "family."

What hurt in both these cases was the assumption I had made that everything was okay. That the couple was doing well enough. That they were surviving - if not thriving.

The Downfall

You know what happens when you assume. Don't make the mistake of believing your marriage is too big to fail. It could, and no one would be there to bail you out.

So how do you prevent failure? A thousand little ways, every day. Commitment to the fundamentals of good business and the Golden Rule, renewed effort in areas you know you need help. Regular check ups to make sure you're thriving.

As in business, you can't get lazy about your marriage.

I don't particularly care whether the British monarchy continues or collapses. But I wish all the best for the marriage of William and Kate. They've got a lot of pressure on their young and attractive shoulders, and the world is watching.

People are watching your marriage too. Go thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment