Thursday, May 26, 2011

100 Years of Patience & Fortitude


Earlier this week I heard an NPR news story that began, "Today we celebrate 100 years of patience and fortitude."

That caught my attention ... how, exactly, does one measure this?

The story went on to explain that Patience and Fortitude are the stone lions that stand guard outside the New York Public Library, which recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. (Patience is pictured on the left.)

Here's what stands out to me: what dull, uninspiring words those are. Sure, patience and fortitude are noble qualities. But if I were given the opportunity to name a piece of architectural decor, I'd look for names with a little more pizazz.

Does this relate to marriage? It occurred to me that these lions were named not too long after the Victorian era, when a mother's typical wedding night advice for her daughter (at least according to legend) was to "lie still and think of England."

In other words, we're in a different era. Patience and Fortitude might have been the most noble characteristics then, but I'd vote for Creativity and Understanding now. Or perhaps Imagination and Tolerance. Love and Knowledge. Grace and Innovation.

Perhaps the words that inspire our era can also inspire our marriages. What would you name your lions?

No comments:

Post a Comment